The 30 winners for the awards were chosen by a faculty committee from a pool of nominees presented by the College of Arts and Sciences (CAS); the College of Architecture, Art and Design (CAAD); the College of Engineering (CEN); and the School of Business Administration (SBA). An AUS selection committee evaluated each project according to communication and presentation, completeness of application, depth of research and investigation, and innovation as well as creativity.
SIB awarded three prizes and two honorable mentions. These are:
- First place for the project entitled Occupiable Machine, conducted by CAAD student Sapna Meghlani
- Second place for the project Detecting and Sizing Cracks in Conductors Utilizing Microwave Sensors conducted by Alaa Ali, Habiba Tahir, Mariam Alhudaidi from CEN
- Third Place for the project Smart Antenna-Based Partial Discharge Detection and Classification System, conducted by Abdelrahman Shaath, Firas Gefe, Nadin Al Rayes, Ruba Al Kadi, Sana Jaber from CEN, in addition to a third place for the project Call It Spring, Call It Yours! An Experiential Marketing Strategy, conducted by Muskaan Chandwani from CAAD
- First Honorable Mention went to the project Optimizing the Manufacturing Processes of Carbon Fiber Epoxy Resin Composite Panels conducted by Bayan Hamdan and Sarah Lafi from CEN. While the second Honorable mention went to the project Investigating Chemically-Modified Natural Fibers for Removal of Organic Oil from Waste Surface conducted by Hassan Abdirizak Issak from CAS
The five projects selected for the BP UAE awards are those that best exemplify BP’s five brand values. These are:
- Respect Award for the project Treatment of Spent Caustic from Enoc Jebel Ali Refinery, by Adnan Kapadia, Gina Izzabelle Eid Rajeh, Jassem Jamil Jamal, Nour Jamal Kobaissi, Pancham Mehta, Rasha Fakhri from CEN
- Courage Award for the project Seismological Research Center by Hind Hashim from CAAD.
- Excellence Award for the project The Sustainable Four by Firas Bou Fakhereddine, Behrooz Arjomandi, Imran Ansari, Hiba Malik from SBA
- The One Team Award for the project Games as Research Tools for Multi-Disciplinary Teams, by Abrar Harasani, Alya Alsalman, Jowaher AlBaker, Alya AlTeneiji, Rawdha AlRedha from CAAD.
- The Safety Award for the project Chemical and Structural Analysis of Sharjah Sand and their Potential Application for Toxic Metal Removal by Taraneh Taghaddossi from CAS
The award ceremony was also attended by number of senior officials from AUS, including Dr. Khaled Assaleh, Interim Vice Provost for Research and Graduate Studies; Kevin Mitchell, Vice Provost for Undergraduate Affairs and Instruction; Dr. Mahmoud Anabtawi, Dean of CAS; and Dr. Richard Schoephoerster, among others.